Monday, March 14, 2016
Calhoun Sacred Quartet - Victor 20543
Life`s Railway To Heaven / The Church In The Wildwood
recorded February 16, 1927 in Atlanta, Georgia
Here`s yet one more "only disc issued" offering. What we have here is a group that`s sort of split off from the Georgia Yellow Hammers. The artists are Lawrence Neal, Philip Reeve, Ernest Moody, George Pickard with Jewell Reeve on piano. Both Philip Reeve and Ernest Moody were in the Georgia Yellow Hammers, as well as recording as a duet on their own and in another group called the Turkey Mountain Singers. I suppose they are called the Calhoun Sacred Quartet here due to the fact they were from the Calhoun, Georgia area.
Both of the tunes are very well known old country gospel standards.
Click here to download the Calhoun Sacred Quartet - Victor 20543
Here`s a fun various artists LP, sort of a sampler on the Mercury label. Happy downloading!
Click here to download Country Music Jamboree - Mercury 20350
Here we are with the next Bill Ring Show. Enjoy!
Track list show #49---
1. Divorce Me C.O.D. - Bill Ring
2. Ida, Sweet As Apple Cider - Doc Martin
3. The Blue Tail Fly - Slim Wilson & The Tall Timber Trio
4. Many Tears Ago - Bill Ring
5. The Finley Creek Blues - Speedy Haworth
6. Beautiful Isle Of Somewhere - Bill Ring
Track list for show #50---
1. Sleepin` At The Foot Of The Bed - Bill Ring
2. Echoes From The Hills - Speedy Haworth
3. That`s When I Love You Best - Sally Briggs
4. Why Should I Cry - Bill Ring
5. The Blues In A - Doc Martin
6. Down The Trail Of Aching Hearts - Bill Ring & Sally Briggs
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #49-50
Sunday, February 28, 2016
Tom And Chuck - Victor V-40305
White River Road / At The End Of The Lane
recorded August 15, 1930 in Hollywood, California
Here`s another "only disc recorded by these artists" disc. The artists names were Tom Murray and Chuck Cook. The were members of Beverly Hill Billies and I assumed there was a connection between both out fits recording till I noticed the Beverly Hill Billies recorded for Brunswick. I had assumed also that Tom & Chuck were the same Tom that recorded in 1933 as Tom & Don and Tom & Roy, but they are not. That`s about the only information I know about these artists. There may be some information on the "interweb" if you are interested in looking. The songs have kind of the pop-ish sound some country records had at the time, as in a pop type tune performed in a country fashion. My copy of this disc is nearly mint, so the sound quality is great. Enjoy!
Click here to download Tom And Chuck - Victor V-40305
I`ll be the first person to admit that Jimmie Skinner had a "unique" voice, but I sure like him. I`m thinking this is about the last record he made. He was kinda on both sides of the country/bluegrass fence. He wrote many songs recorded by both type of artists, and even on some of his own recordings where he recorded a song more than once he himself could sound like bluegrass or country. So if you are unfamiliar with him, I`d say give this a download!
Click here to download Jimmie Skinner`s #1 Bluegrass
Here we are once again with the next Bill Ring Show. Happy listening!
Track list for show #47---
1. Anytime - Bill Ring
2. Papa`s Jumpin` - Speedy Haworth & Doc Martin
3. Land Beyond The Sun - Slim Wilson And The Tall Timber Trio
4. The Little Girl In My Hometown - Bill Ring
5. Remington Ride - Speedy Haworth
6. Mon And Dad`s Waltz - Bill Ring
Track list for show #48---
1. Detour - Bill Ring
2. Midnight - Speedy Haworth
3. I Long To Tell You - Sally Briggs
4. Sunbonnet Sue - Bill Ring
5. Sugar Moon - Doc Martin
6. Nobody`s Business - Bill Ring & Sally Briggs
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #47&48
Monday, February 22, 2016
Burke Brothers - Victor V-40294
At Last My Dreams Have Come True / Lonesome And Lonely
recorded October 22, 1929 in Dallas, Texas
Here is another group that recorded only one disc. I really don`t know any information about them other than they had recorded with Jimmie Rodgers. Both songs are what, at the time, I`d call "pop-ish" country. They aren`t outstanding sides, but are quite nice in voice and I really like the lap style steel played in the early country-Hawaiian style. Happy listening!
Click here to download Burke Brothers - Victor V-40294
How about some old-time banjo pickin`?! Mr. Bird certainly pounds out these tunes on the banjo in a very hard-driving style. Mighty fine music here!
Click here to download Elmer Bird - Home Sweet Home
Here`s the next Bill Ring Show.
Track list for show #45---
1. Shame On You - Bill Ring
2. String Stealin` - Speedy Haworth
3. A Sinner`s Prayer - Bill Ring
4. Pretty Little Girl With The Pretty Little Curls - Slim Wilson & The Tall Timber Trio
5. Get Up And Go - Doc Martin
6. Peace In The Valley - Bill Ring
Track list for show #46---
1. A Bundle Of Southern Sunshine - Bill Ring
2. Raining Teardrops From My Eyes - Speedy Haworth
3. Why Can`t You Be Mine - Sally Briggs
4. Make Room In Your Heart For A Friend - Bill Ring
5. Stay Away From My Heart - Doc Martin
6. I Believe - Bill Ring
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #45-46
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Williams and Williams - Columbia 15172-D
In The Garden / Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet
Recorded March 29, 1927 in Atlanta, Georgia
Here is another "only issued" disc in our series. I have NO information on these artists except what can be read on the label. It`s just a pleasant gospel performance. In The Garden has to be one of the best known gospel songs. Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet is an unfamiliar song to me. Enjoy!
Click here to download Williams and Williams - Columbia 15172-D